My Views

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Will this periodic ranting help us?

When I switch on TV or read business newspapers, a frequent refrain that I hear from the industrialists is that Govt should do this /Govt should do that/ RBI should do this/ RBI should do that. While I fully subscribe to the view that there should be a continuing dialogue between industry and the Govt., I find this ranting as a dependent child's ranting. From another angle, the captains of industry appear to say that I will win if the rules are changed. Or I will win if the umpire is of my choice. 

The real adversary is not the Government. (I do not hold any brief on behalf of the Government.) The real competition is from China, South East Asia and other emerging economies. While we talk of cooperation between emerging economies, fact is that there is greater competition amongst themselves. 

If Chinese can make the goods at one fourth of the price that we in India make, the problem is that we are not innovative and competitive enough. Earlier we always claimed that China is a mystery, it is no longer so. We know about Chinese industry enough. And its competitiveness is for real. And they are competitive despite providing a better standard of living to their workers.

China can make cheaper toys and even cheaper toothpicks. We need to introspect as to why we cannot make these and other countless goods where high tech is not required at a competitive rate. 

What is missing are 1. innovation, 2. big vision and 3. risk taking.

More on these later.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home